February 13, 2011 at 9:31am
It doesnt have to be dirty water and you don't have to get cut or pricked by a shrimp or hook!!!
If you have a scratch and splash water on it that contains the vibrio virus you can contract it.
Vibrio Valnificus is a bacteria that is in salt water.
The same guy that marsh and hopper are talking
about got it in his lower leg and never got in the water as far as we know.
Luckily he is in the medical profession and knew right away when the swelling and pain started to get to an emergency room fast.
Bleach is the best thing to use to prevent getting it.
i know of 2 folks that have cotracted it in there hands from getting a finger pricked by shrimp horns when baiting a hook w/ live shrimp.
It seems to take anywhere from 8 to 24 hrs to manifest itself and show symptoms.
If you experiance localized pain and swelling after being in or near salt water ,especially after fishing, get to an emergency room and make sure the doctor knows to check for vibrio!!!
If you have ever seen the effects of this bacteria you will not delay at all.