Please Sign In

New To Sportsman Network?

im 17 without a hunters ed course can i hunt with two 18 yr olds?

can i hunt with out the safty course if i get my stamps if im 17 without a safty course completion
i have two 18 yr olds with me that has them and there stamps
You will not be able to purchase a basic hunting license witout a hunter safety card.
Yes you can under a special provision. This provision was designed as a way for someone to 'try out' hunting to see if they like it before having to take the hunters' education course. It is not a way around taking the course and I believe is limited to one season.

I highly recommend taking the course as soon as you can. There's no price on safety when dealing with firearms. Here's the info:

No person born on or after Sept. 1, 1969, shall procure a hunting license of any kind, unless that person has been issued a certificate of satisfactorily completion of a Hunter Education course approved by LDWF.

•EXCEPT a person who has not completed a hunter education course may be issued a license with the restriction that they are accompanied by, and under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who has a valid hunting license or proof of successful completion of a hunter education course.
Yes you Can Hunt
About five yeaes ago the LDWF changed hunter ed. requirements in an effort to recruit new hunters to the sport. The number one reason given by persons not trying hunting was sitting thru a 10 hour course and then not becoming a hunter. The lic. cost about 10 dollars and is good for 30 days. you must have a Federal stamp also. look at page 6 of hunting regs.
Special Provision License
My girlfriend (27 and doesn’t have Hunter Safety yet) went to the LDWF main office on Quail Drive and purchased her Special Provision license. She paid $35 total, this included her Federal Duck Stamp, and it is valid until June. They told her that it would be $5 extra for Big Game and another $5 for Turkey, this could be added later if we decided to hunt these species. She wants to take the Hunter Safety Class but couldn’t get into a local class till after the holidays.
Make sure you get HIP certification
Good information above about the provisional license. If you intend to hunt waterfowl, you need both a federal Duck Stamp AND HIP certification. The HIP certification is free of charge, but you must have it for every state in which you hunt.
Glad to see there's an exception that allows those to hunt without the course.

What doesn't make sense to me is would it be perfectly legal for two 15 year olds to hunt with no hunters education course, but once they turn 16 they would not be able to hunt together without being under supervision of someone 18 and older? Are there any restrictions for those younger than 16?