Please Sign In


New To Sportsman Network?

Perfect Size

Reply
 
I'm looking into purchasing a boat in the near future but I have a few questions that some of you may be able to help shed some light on. For starters, I fish fresh and saltwater about equally but may be inclined to do more saltwater after f purchase. Second, is Center Console(Bay Boat) vs. Bass Boat(Aluminium-Tracker or Express). Third is the size. I would like to stay around the 17-18 ft range as I won't really have a more than 3 passengers tops at any time. I fish the waters from Venice to Houma area as well as the Atchafalaya Basin. Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks.
Reply
19 ft
think a 19 ft bayboat would do everything u need. Kenner, nauticstar, baystealth are brands u can look at for value. I have a 19 ft baystealth and will fish those waters with 3 people comfortably. Easy to load and trailer if I need to fish by yourself.
Reply
Boat
In my opinion you can't beat the ride of a glass boat . I had a 20 ft xpress flat bottom that although a good boat for interior marsh . It rode terrible in chop . I'm not putting down on express but I should have bought the v bottom model . If you go with aluminum get one with some v . Size wise I have a 21 ft bay boat and love it . It is about do all as you can get . From perch jerking to the beach I can do it all . If you are used to a smaller boat don't worry they all shrink .
Reply
Perfect Size
Thanks guys. The info in 'chop' was something I wasn't considering. I guess that I wasn't really thinking about going out too far, but who am I kidding. I'm sure there will be times that I want to make that run a little off the coast. I do agree that a v bottom would be best overall although I like flat bottoms for the marsh like you stated. 19 is on the max side of what I want to get into as this will be pretty much a starter for me to really learn about upkeep. I'll take a look at those that you mentioned. Thanks again.
Reply
19 ft
i have taken my 19 footer to the 7 mile rigs out of venice a couple of times. Run all over black bay/breton sound, fish deep in the marshes during the winter months. U may get a little wet with a cross wind, but I never felt unsafe in the boat.
Reply
Perfect Size
Good info. 19ft may give me the width and provide a stable enough platform for the wife to feel comfortable running out to the rigs. As for freshwater fishing, will this be too much boat?
Reply
Boat size
No one boat does everything perfect . Buy a boat that suits 75% of your primary needs and make do on the other 25 % . Unless you can talk you wife into buying two boats . Good luck with that ! Figure out what you do most and buy to suit that . Also buy a little bigger than you think you need .
Reply
Blazer bay
I have a Blazer bay 1860 2004 model for sale. PM me if interested. Hate to sell it but I now have a 24ft and the Blazers not getting used as much
Reply