Please Sign In

New To Sportsman Network?

Grand Isle / Fourchon Fishing Report

Site Sponsor
After nearly two weeks of being off the water, it was nice to get back into things. Certainly things are not normal but with a few little concessions we are running and catching fish. We have lost some trips because the customers were directly affected by the storm and fishing is taking a back seat to getting life back together.

We got back on the water for the first time since the storm this Saturday. After a two week absence from the sport that we love, it was sweet to be back on the water. The absence and the destruction that caused it, made me appreciate what we have, like never before.

We left the dock late, after the customers were delayed by a major auto accident. We took our time leaving Belle Pass as there was some trash being moved about by the tide. These customers wanted this to be a Snapper and Amberjack trip so we struck out for the Snapper holes that had been so hot before the storm. We arrived at the first stop to find the water a dirty green and the current ripping so fast that it was almost impossible to fish. We headed for the next stop and found that the water had changed to a dirty blue with little current.

This storm seems to have scattered the snapper. What was a guaranteed thing before the storm, was found to be spotty with a lot of smaller fish. We placed a few snapper in the box then concentrated on making bait for an amberjack run.

As we ran into the canyon we found the water had turned to a beautiful blue and the wind that had been blowing the seas earlier had calmed to nothing. The boat ride was magnificent.

As we neared what was to be the first of our AJ stops, we noticed a lot of surface action with frigate birds circling overhead. As we got closer we could see hundreds of blackfin and an occasional yellowfin clearing the surface of the ocean like they were preparing for a trip to the moon. The boat came to a stop and we quickly outfitted every spin cast rod on the boat with poppers.

While we were rigging the rods for battle I looked over the bow of the boat and saw a very large bill slashing about in the school of tuna. I gave the customers the option of dragging baits for the bill fish but explained that if he came to the boat healthy he most likely would be released. The snapper had been so slow during the morning they opted to go with the tuna.

We eased the boat to within casting distance of the mayhem and that is when the beauty of nature took hold. All of the excitement was centered around a large group of whale sharks. There were at least 5 and maybe 7 whale sharks, playing and feeding in the area.

To see these mammoths go almost vertical in the water and open there large mouths to filter the water, then just graciously start rolling and playing in the water, was simply amazing. Staying there and watching this until the sun went down would have been plenty for me but I had to get to work.

We started putting blackfin in the boat with several break offs when the tuna would run the line across the whale sharks. We stayed with the whale sharks until we had to shut it down to perform minor surgery after one of the guest hooked his buddy with three hooks with a well placed cast from a popper.

The guys decided that they wanted to try for more snapper so we headed for shallower water. On the way in we discovered that all of the trash from the storm had gathered on a beautiful blue green rip with a trash line that had to be 100 yards wide. We cruised this rip for a little ways, spotting an occasional, large dolphin. The customers however decided that they did not want anything but more snapper.

We headed for the WD field where we found nasty green water with a nasty 4 foot sea and a ripping current. Too much current and too much weight made it tough for these guys to feel the bite.

We ended the day with a mixed box of snapper and blackfin and one lone Atlantic Sharpnose.

While in the gulf, I found platforms mostly in tack from West Delta to South Timberlier. All of them seemed to have some minor damage with handrails, microwave dishes and scaffolding dangling free. There was one rig in the WD area where the entire platform was listing to the north at about a 35 degree angle. This was in the WD70 area. I did not get the rig number as the Navy had fully armed cruisers in the area as part of the detachment to protect the president and they did not like company in the area.

The customers took the pictures and if they forward them to me, I will post here.

We now have plenty of open dates from cancellations forced by Hurricane Katrina. If fishing is in your plans, give us a call. Frankie Hardison tells us that they should have electricity by mid week and within days he will be up and running with full supplies and rooms to rent.

Reel Screamers Guide Service
Grand Isle / Fourchon
Man that is refreshing news!
Darryl...thanks for the post on the fishing. Can't wait to get out again.
Grand Isle / Fourchon drive
How is making the drive from Baton Rouge to Fourchon? are all the roads open or passable From Baton Rouge. like I-10 to 310, and Hwy 90 to 308 to Hwy 1. Let me know thanks!!!!!
I hear that the route that you posted is open, however I have not been willing to chance it. I have been taking the scenic drive down LA 1 the whole way.

The public launch in Fourchon is open but it is a wreck and crowded with workers working on the electricity.

Right now the estimates are that Fourchon will have power by mid week, if everything goes well.

Word is that any day now the Grand Isle bridge will be closed to all traffic. A construction crew is coming in with equipment to try to fix the bridge. If things work well, the bridge will be closed to all traffic for about 3 weeks. If this happens you will only be able to access the area by boat. Remember if you are going near Grand Isle, you will have to have a picture ID issued by the Sheriff's Office